This week i discovered a wonderful resource for all your sewing needs. Shut up and Sew Vendor List, curated by Jacinta Green. The layout is a little tricky for me to read as I am working off a tiny laptop so I made a list of all the UK Based Allied and POC businesses Jacinta has listed in a way I can go back to time and again. If you want to know more about how I am personally taking responsibility for the damage my privilege can cause, take a look at my sister blog, Today I Wrote. All links will open in a new tab, I hope you find it useful.
- Alice and Co Patterns Inclusive Sewing Patterns @aliceandcopatterns Woman Owned. Ally
- Comfort Stitching Bag Pattern Designer and Fabric Designer @aneelahoey POC Owned
- Bombay Stores Fabrics Fabric Shop and Haberdashery @bombaystores_fabrics POC owned
- Bright Blooms DIY Fashion and Home @thebrightblooms POC Owned
- By Hand London Sewing Patterns @byhandlondon Woman Owned. Ally
- Cloth Candy Fabric Shop @clothcandy POC Owned
- Cashmerette Inclusive size sewing patterns @cashmerette Woman Owned. Ally
- Cocowawa Crafts, Sewing Patterns and Workshops @cocowawacrafts
- Dovetailed London, African Wax Fabrics, @dovetailedlondon Black Owned
- Edinburgh Fabrics Fabric Shop @edinburghfabrics POC Owned
- Fabric N More Fabric Shop @fabricnmore Woman Owned. POC. Muslim
- Paper Theory Patterns Sewing Patterns @paper_theory Woman Owned, POC
- Pink Coat Club Pins and Labels @pinkcoatclub Woman Owned, Ally
- Selvedge and Bolts Fine fabric @selvedgeandbolts Black Owned
- Sew Me Sunshine Fabric, Patterns, Notions @sewmesunshine Ally
- Sewing Sanctuary Fabric and Workshops @sewing_Sanctuary Woman Owned. Ally
- Sister Mintaka Fabric Shop @sistermintaka POC Owned. Ally
- Stamp Africane Box, Fabric Shop and Subscription Box @stampeafricanebox Black owned
I’ve ordered some beautiful wax printed fabric from Dovetailed London. I’ll be making a present with it so it’ll be a little while before I can show it off. I hope I have included all the UK stores but my eyes got a bit tired after a while so I may have missed a few. Now on to a couple of my latest makes.
Jelly Roll Cushion
Firstly a bit of patchwork. My step-dad mad a little bench during lockdown for my niece and nephew. We’re all getting a little creative whilst stuck at home. It was so much fun using a bunch of left over jelly-roll strips to make a super cute patchwork cushion. I used some quilted jersey whcih ive had for ages as the wadding. It gives the cushion a good sturdy feel. However it was a bit of a nightmare to sew through.
I absolutely love my Cardamome dress. The cat buttons finish it off beautifully. It fits very well about the chest and neck! I was worried the neck would be too tight or the buttons would pop open but it works really well. The day I finished my dress the weather changed so I haven’t had a chance to get photos of it on me. I’m currently working on a Kielo Wrap Dress from some gorgeous stretch crepe. Hopefully I can get it finished by next week!
Thanks for reading, please check out the list of makers and take a look at #blackmakersmatter on instagram, we all need to work to make the sewing community more diverse.