Mollie Makes And Experimenting With Patterns​

Yesterday I ran a charity day for Wrap Pyjama Fairies. Together with managed to make eight pairs of pyjamas for kids who are having treatment in hospital. It was fantastic but absolutely manic!  The heat did not help!

Here we all are after a very busy, fun, day! If you want to find out more check out Crafty Sew & So’s blog.

Today I made the free gift from Mollie Makes and paired it with a white cotton tank top I made a couple of days ago.

necklace

I only had a metre of fabric and using the tiny pocket tank pattern from Grainline needs a bit over a metre. I decided to experiment. I couldn’t fit the back piece on the fold so cut two individual pieces. To add the inch or so to the back, I used one of my husband’s old shirts. I cut a straight strip and attached the raw edges before doing anything else.

top2

Small Stitches

Recently I discovered this wonderful charity called Wrap Pyjama Fairies. They supplies cute pyjama’s for children and babies who have to stay in hospital. I tried my hand at a new born gown, thinking as it was my first try I’d use less material. What I didn’t think about was how fiddly a new born gown garment would be to make. I ended up hand sewing a lot of it. I’m not sure I’m that pleased with the result. it looks adorable but I think the popper tape I used might be a bit itchy on a new born babies skin.

IMG_20160418_213829.jpg

I’m thinking this one might just be a dress for a doll and I’ll make another one with individual snaps. I’m planning on hosting a workshop and fundraising day at Crafty Sew & So in the summer holidays. I’m going to make one of each item before the event so there are samples and getting my head around the garments to help others.

For sometime now I have been working on a gorgeous set of cushions for the bedroom. I had no idea that I was embarking upon a perilous expedition when I chose some mini pom pom trim. The band is so tiny, even with a zip foot it’s tricky to catch it. I thought I’d have been fine considering I hand tacked the trim, alas, it was not so.  I do not regret it, because it looks just perfect with the Dashwood cotton. However I am now considering doing two with pom pom trim and two with piping or lace.

IMG_20160424_150137

I worked on both these pieces on the same day and ended up with a pounding headache. my next project will be using massive pieces of fabric with big old seam allowances.

x