On a visit to my in laws I picked up some lovely lovely Rhubarb. I’ve never made anything with Rhubarb before so I thought I’d go with a simple crumble.
Decided straight off this crumble would be for my husband. As I don’t really eat Rhubarb it didn’t feel like a ‘safe food,’ I have been challenging a fair few things relating to my eating disorder recently and decided not to push myself too far.
For the Filling
250g Rhubarb, 50g Golden caster sugar, 1 1/2 Tablespoons Port (if you fancy)
For the Crumble
70g self-raising flour, 42g chilled butter, 25g light brown muscovado sugar,
- Pop the Rhubarb sugar and Port into a pan, cover and simmer over a very low heat for around 15 minutes or the rhubarb is soft but still holding it’s shape.
- Place rhubarb in a small baking dish. Preheat the oven to 200 c (180 c fan)
now comes the terrifying bit….
- Form a crumbly mixture by rubbing butter and flour together using your fingers!!!!!
My thoughts went from this isn’t so bad to If I don’t get this crap off my hands soon i’m going to cry then back to a slightly calmer I can do this for a few more seconds.
- Add the sugar mixing with your hands!!
This was a tiny bit easier as it was dryer and stuck to my hands less.
- Sprinkle the mixture on top of the Rhubarb and bake for 25-30 mins or until golden brown
My Husband said it was delicious.